Eye detection using color information and a new efficient SVM

Shuo Chen, Chengjun Liu

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

9 Scopus citations

Abstract

Eye detection is an important initial step in an automatic face recognition system. We present in this paper a real-time accurate eye detection method using color information and wavelet features together with a new efficient Support Vector Machine (eSVM). In particular, this method consists of two stages: the eye candidate selection and validation. The selection stage rejects 99% of the pixels through an eye color distribution analysis in the YCbCr color space, while the remaining 1% of the pixels are further processed by the validation stage. The validation stage applies 2D Haar wavelets for multi-scale image representation, PCA for dimensionality reduction, and eSVM for classification to detect the center of an eye. The eSVM, based on the idea of minimizing the maximum margin of misclassified samples, is defined on fewer support vectors than the standard SVM, which can achieve faster detection speed and comparable or even higher detection accuracy. Experiments on Face Recognition Grand Challenge (FRGC) database show the feasibility of our proposed method, which can processes 6.25 images with the size of 128*128 per second in average and achieves 94.92% eye detection accuracy.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationIEEE 4th International Conference on Biometrics
Subtitle of host publicationTheory, Applications and Systems, BTAS 2010
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 27 2010
Event4th IEEE International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems, BTAS 2010 - Washington, DC, United States
Duration: Sep 27 2010Sep 29 2010

Other

Other4th IEEE International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems, BTAS 2010
Country/TerritoryUnited States
CityWashington, DC
Period9/27/109/29/10

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Computational Theory and Mathematics
  • Theoretical Computer Science

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Eye detection using color information and a new efficient SVM'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this