The degree of polarization of transition bremsstrahlung (TBS) is calculated in a plasma with weak gyrotropy. The cases of weak and strong Faraday rotation in a radiation source are discussed. The distribution of polarization is shown to have no azimuthal symmetry, if the particle gyroradius is larger than the source size. We calculate the polarization degree of TBS for an ensemble of fast particles and show that polarization exceeds the respective value for transition radiation in the presence of nonthermal inhomogeneities of the plasma density.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Statistical and Nonlinear Physics
- Nuclear and High Energy Physics
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering